The STECF, with the approval of the Commission, may create specific working groups to carry out clearly defined tasks. The working groups shall consist of external experts and at least two STECF members. They shall report to the STECF within a given time frame.
(article 8 of 2005/629/EC).
Note that up to end 2010 the following acronyms were used:
SG-BRE = Sub-group on balance between resources and the exploitation SG-ECA = Sub-group on Economic Affairs SG-FEN = Sub group on Environmental Impact SG-MED = Sub-group on the Mediterranean sea and on the Black sea SG-MOS = Sub-group on management objectives and strategies SG-RN = Sub-group on research needs SG-RST = Sub-group on stock reviews
Since 2011 specific working groups of the STECF are labeled as Expert Working Groups (EWG) with a clear and concise title and the above listed sub-group acronyms are not used anymore.
- The STECF shall consist of not less than 30 members and not more than 35 members.
- The members of the STECF shall be scientific experts in the fields of marine biology, marine ecology, fisheries science, nature conservation, population dynamics, statistics, fishing gear technology, aquaculture, and the economics of fisheries and aquaculture.
(article 3 of 2005/629/EC: structure)
Current STECF members and reserve list:
The current members of the STECF have been appointed for a period of three years from 1 November 2010 and a reserve list valid from 1 November 2010 was drawn up. The reserve list may be used by the Commission to find suitable candidates to replace members that leave the STECF... (article 4.4 of 2005/629/EC).
Two of the STECF members appointed on 27 October 2010 voluntarily resigned. On 9 March 2012 the Commission appointed three new members of the STECF.
In accordance with Art 11(1) of Commission Decision 2005/629/ EC of 31 August 2005 amended by Commission Decision 2010/74/EU the STECF shall, with the approval of the Commission, adopt its rules of procedure prescribed below.
These rules of procedure shall ensure that the STECF executes its duties and responsibilities in compliance with the principles of excellence, independence and transparency, while respecting the legitimate requirements of confidentiality.
- The Commission shall provide the secretariat for the STECF and its working groups.
- The secretariat shall be responsible for providing technical and administrative support and coordination to facilitate the efficient functioning of the STECF and to organize meetings for its working groups.
- Where necessary, the secretariat shall coordinate activities of STECF and its working groups with those of other Community and international bodies.
(article 15 of 2005/629/EC)
- Since 2005 the JRC assumes the secretariat of the STECF.
- Meetings of the STECF and its working groups shall be approved and convened by the Commission.
- The Commission may participate in meetings of the STECF and of its working groups.
- The Commission may invite experts who are not members of STECF to participate in STECF meetings and its working groups.
(article 10 of 2005/629/EC)