In agreement with the Commission services, the STECF group may set up sub-groups to examine specific questions on the basis of the terms of reference defined by the Commission. The sub-groups shall consist of at least two group (=STECF) members and external experts. Sub-groups shall report to the group within a given time frame in accordance with those terms of reference. Such sub-groups shall be disbanded as soon as their mandate is fulfilled.
(article 6 point 4 of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05)).
Note that up to end 2010 the following acronyms were used:
SG-BRE = Sub-group on balance between resources and the exploitation SG-ECA = Sub-group on Economic Affairs SG-FEN = Sub group on Environmental Impact SG-MED = Sub-group on the Mediterranean sea and on the Black sea SG-MOS = Sub-group on management objectives and strategies SG-RN = Sub-group on research needs SG-RST = Sub-group on stock reviews
Since 2011 specific working groups of the STECF are labeled as Expert Working Groups (EWG) with a clear and concise title and the above listed sub-group acronyms are not used anymore.
The Commission services may invite experts from outside the group (=STECF) with specific competence in a subject on the agenda to take part in the work of the group (=STECF) or the sub-group on an ad hoc basis (external experts).
(article 6 point 3 of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05))
- Meetings of the STECF and its Expert Working Groups shall be agreed by and convened by the Commission.
- Commission representatives with an interest in the proceedings may attend meetings of the STECF and its Expert Working Groups.
- The Commission services may invite experts from outside the group with specific competence in a subject on the agenda to take part in the work of the group or the sub-group on an ad hoc basis (external experts).
(article 6 of 2016/C 74/05)
- The STECF shall consist of not less than 30 members and not more than 35 members. (article 4 of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05));
- With a view to implement Union policy in the area of fisheries and aquaculture, the assistance of highly qualified scientific experts is required, particularly in the application of marine and fisheries biology, fishing gear technology, fisheries economics, fisheries governance, ecosystem effects of fisheries, aquaculture or similar disciplines, or in the field of collection, management and use of fisheries and aquaculture data.
(para (2) of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05)).
Current STECF members:
The current members of the STECF have been appointed by the Director-General of DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries for a period of three years from 11 April 2016 (start date of 1st plenary meeting of the new STECF) and a reserve list was drawn up. The reserve list may be used by the Commission for replacement of members who leave the group in accordance with paragraph 6 of article 4 of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05).
The names of STECF members and additional information are published in the Register of Commission expert groups.
In accordance with Art 7(7) of Commission Decision (2016/C 74/05), the STECF shall adopt its rules of procedure on the basis of the standard rules of procedure for expert groups.
These rules of procedure shall ensure that the STECF executes its duties and responsibilities in compliance with the principles of excellence, independence and transparency, while respecting the legitimate requirements of confidentiality.
Discussion and adoption of the rules of procedure is foreseen to take place during the July and October 2016 plenary meetings.
- The Commission shall provide the secretariat for the STECF and its working groups.
- The secretariat shall be responsible for providing technical and administrative support and coordination to facilitate the efficient functioning of the STECF and to organize meetings for its working groups.
- Where necessary, the secretariat shall coordinate activities of STECF and its working groups with those of other Community and international bodies.
(article 6(6) of 2016/C 74/05)
- Since 2005 the JRC assumes the secretariat of the STECF.